Wednesday, May 27, 2009

May 27th + 28th

May 27th

Today I go on a tourist bus tour. Or rather I did go on one. I also scheduled to meet Akiyo for the last time. At the bus station I waited for the tour bus (of course) and I didn't see any tourists...unless Japanese people go on tourist rides... Then it turns out that there is only 3 total people going on the tour (including me).


On the bus, the tour guide did the standard "Hey tourists, here's how to count in Japanese. And here's a clock tower thats 50 years old. And here's blah blah blah." But I did get some cool pictures of the Emperor's 450 year old castle thingy. Which, by the way, the tour guide wouldn't stop mentioning the watchtowers and how the Japanese are only allowed to see their Emperor (+ Family) only twice a year. Now I have the 75 year old guy's birthday forever etched in my brain. December 23rd...Also the birthday of the clock tower :D


The bus stopped in a park right outside the Emperor's palace. People were just laying down on the low cut grass (like super low cut...like hairy arm short) sleeping. Maybe a blanket laid down with a duffelbag under their heads...just sleeping...I bet most were homeless (I did see at least 1 homeless). I also bought some ice cream and that cliche bandana with a red spot on it. It says "victory" in Japanese. I bought it because my name means "The People's Victory" in some old whatever language.


The tour bus stopped at some Buddhist temple market where I bought me a fan and wandered around a bit. When I went back to the bus at the predestined time (like fate O.o), no one was there. So I waited and eventually my tour guide came and our 2 other members were missing. So we waited for a bit. And waited. And then I saw them and walked over and started talking.


They are a very nice couple from Singapore on their honeymoon. I talked with them a bit and they were very nice. VERY NICE >:o Seriously. I enjoyed their company.


Then I was dropped off at the train station and called Akiyo. Our conversation basically went. "Are you at Hamamatsu?"

"Yes."
"Where?"

"North Entrance."
"Okay."

And then I looked for the North Entrance and could not find it for the life of me. I don't know why but I was pissed. Probably pissed because we couldn't communicate to find a better way to meet. Eventually I told her I was at the bus station and she met me there. Thank jesus god #*&@ cuz I was pissed.


But then I was relieved when I saw her. We basically wandered around not knowing where to go. I tried to explain "Expensive" and "Curse words" but through lack of vocabulary and knowledge, I just couldn't get her to understand. I showed her my headband and she asked me to put it on. I already felt touristy from the tour but puting on this bandana. It's putting the final nail in the tourist sterotype coffin. Thank god I don't put camera's around my neck or have a hat or hawaiian (how do you spell that?) shirt.


So I put it on. I didn't go to Japan to fit in. And if I don't care about what people who know me think about me, why would I care about what a bunch of Japanese (and I mean A BUNCH) think about me? So yeah. Slapped that sucker on.


Quit comparing that white bandana to my teeth, I've been brushin'. And to my credit, the bandana was higher when I was on the train...and I'm not very photogenic...at all...ever?
Anyways. I walked the streets like that. And I rode a train like that. And after almost falling from the train starting to move and acting totally touristy, I had to take it off. It was too much. Way too much. Like your mom shows up at school and says you're wearing dirty underwear too much (which is not a real life example >.>).
After switching trains I was crammed against some guy playing SuDoKu on his cell phone. So after trying to figure it out (the difficulty must have been on EPIC), I saw him put two 2's in a line. I had my headphones on and so did he so I tapped him on the shoulder (wtf am i supposed to do?) and pointed to the two 2's and said "Ni" (Japanese for 2). "Oh thanks." He said in English. Hmmm... So I helped him. I kept speaking the numbers in Japanese and when I said "Kyuu" (9), he asked, "2?".
I've been having trouble choosing which language to use in Japan. When they speak English, do you know it well or are they just trying to make communication easier? So when a Japanese person speaks English. I attempt my speach in Japanese and then restate it in English before finishing with a "WaKaRiMaSu Ka?" (understand?).
Well its a tell (like in Poker) when you speak a language someone should have learned first and they misunderstand and think its in another language. Let me elaborate. Your brain translates automatically. The trick is making it quick and fast. Yukiko translates super fast from Japanese to English. I can read Japanese slowly but eventually the translation will come fast. When you first learn a language, it is translating things you see and hear into words. Eventually you get better at it.
Well if this guy knew Japanese first, he would have known Kyuu. Instead he thought Two. So after a bit (and when the train got less crammed) I told him. "Your english is very good. How long did it take you to learn it?"
"Oh. Well actually I was raised in the Philipines and learned English growing up."
So after a bit of talking, he was still learning Japanese (but was waaaay farther than me). So don't think it was an assumption. It was logical knowing. He had the mannerisms. He spoke without an accent. And in the end, me and him talked and enjoyed our short time together. What are the odds talking to a supposed-Japanese person and he actually knowing English? Slim but not too slim. I've found a few people who knew the basics and that was a breathe of fresh air.

Hearing people speak English relieves the stress of me not knowing Japanese. Knowing people are learning English without being in an English speaking country (or they could have been) is just like how I was learning Japanese outside of Japan. If a Japanese person came to me in America (super slim chance there), I could attempt to speak to them and it would give them the same joy I recieved.
So yeah. Today was great :D
May 28th
Today I sat on the computer all day and hung out with friends. Then rode in the rain on a purple bike to the gas station only to find out I had no yen. Later we went to the Army/Navy/whatever base and I tried to withdraw money. I couldn't >:O well at home I check my credit account and it is official.
I have no more money. I have the 326 yen in my pocket and the 7 dollars in my bank account. But thats fine because Matt owes me $20 (I knew this would happen so I invested some cash).
So thats it. Have fun. I'm mailing cards sometime.

1 comment:

  1. You wear that bandana better than the Karate kid ever did my love. Missing you, Mom

    ReplyDelete