Sunday, May 31, 2009

May 31st

So I have a few things to talk about...

John Visher

I went to Sports Day, a school held event where students participate in relay races, and almost every other sport was Japanese so all I can name is the relay race.

There I met John Visher, a lawyer who felt isolated because of his gaijin-status. He has been in Japan for over 20 years and has a wife and a child. He told me many important things to know about being employed in Japan. The greatest piece of knowledge is "You cannot be fired in Japan. They have to bribe you into resigning." Which is funny because a lot of people in Japan don't know this.

Yukiko and him traded info and he told me he knew a guy in Boise named Dave Crosslin who moved to Boise in 2004. He has 3 girls and 3 boys with his Japanese wife. Also two of the girls are 17 and 22...so wink wink. Dave worked (still does?) as a translator. He and all his kids speak fluent Japanese and English. That's awesome.

Tug of War

So at Sports Day, I had a chance to participate in the parental tug-o-war. I expected it to be the lean back and pull thing in America but the Japanese version is very different.

There is no anchor fat guy at the end. Everyone pulls in this circular motion. Like loose PULL loose PULL loose PULL and it takes a while to get the rhythm. Also they use a manly rope that doesn't bend very easily, its like rope you would use to tie ogres or something.

Sleeping In

Today I also slept in really late. It was an expiriment. Turns out sleeping in now makes me feel guilty. I'll probably give it up.

TV Nudity

I'm watchin' some show where they take 40 year old houses and modernize them. In a clip, it shows the dad walk outside the house, butt naked except for a tiny washclothe covering his crotch, past the padeo, and into the smallest bathtub I have ever seen.

Later I was watching a comedy show where some guy had a few volunteers (or something) and a colon camera. He pointed the camera up noses and in ears and then up his shirt showing his nipple. He then shoved it in his female patient's (they were all female except him) and showed her nipple.

So it it like...no topless and no genitals? Oh but the next part of the show was hilarious...oh man...I cried at how funny it was.

Japanese Hair

So I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but the Japanese have insane hair. All those anime and game characters with unreal hair...well thats how hair works in Japan. I'm not joking...at all...I've seen some awesome hair during this trip.

Water Recycle

The japanese are also crazy about recycling. Those juice boxes? Recycle. Plastic spoons? Recycle. And get this part-

The toilet has two flushes; little flush and big flush (guess which one is for what). After you flush, a little facet starts releasing water to rinse your hands. Now this water is the water the toilet uses to flush. Its almost as though the Japanese know flushing the toilet with dirty hand water is cleaner than 1 gallon of drinkable water.

Next...the bathtub. The Japanese use a hand shower thingy to wash everything. Once they are done, they rinse off and sink into a huge bath. When they are done relaxing, they get out and later use that bath water to wash their clothes. The water is cleaner than American bath water though because they washed before entering it.

Thats some good recycling :B maybe America will be that smart someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment