Monday, May 4, 2009

May 4th

Went to Navy base where Corey works. Discovered that the car GPS greys out all the roads in the base. Then went to some 150 year anniversery thingy and saw a giant robotic spider move around. I then wished I was wearing my "Wanted: Japanese Girlfriend" shirt. Lots of cuties around.

Afterwards we went to a convience store and I talked to the clerk. It went something like this. "????????" I look at the touch screen and pull out the right amount. He says. "O! Hai! ????????" And then asks me a question and won't give me the ice cream. "Ehhh...Hai?" I stutter back. And he looks at me knowing I don't understand. I then wave Yukiko over and she says something and the guy puts a sticker on my ice cream and hands it back. "Arigatou Gozaimashita." I reply bowing a little. I asked what he wanted and Yukiko said he asked if I wanted a bag.

Watched Cinderella III and afterwards built some train armor with Marc before Yukiko handed him the phone. He talked a bit and then said to me "Here, she'll teach you Japanese." I was all like "...ummm..." and he thrusted the phone to me.

"Mushi mushi?" I asked.
"Marku?" A woman replied.
"IIe. Nicholas."
"Oh! Nihon wa dou desu ka?"
"errrr...dou ka?" I replied uncertain.
"Hai."
"I'm sorry, my Japanese is pretty bad."
"Oh! I don't speak English." She replied back.
"Sou desu...Yukiko ka?"
"Hai."
and I handed the phone off. These situations are pretty awkward and not good on the phone at all. Marc said she would teach me Japanese but I don't think he understands that, on the phone, there needs to be a common language. If it was in person, you can just point to stuff and say it but on the phone, that doesn't work too well.

I also got an email today from my bank. They charge 1% fee on all transactions with equals $7.70 if I spend all my money using VISA.

No comments:

Post a Comment